Welcome to Beetley
Beetley is a Parish situated 3 miles north of Dereham on the B1145.
It covers an area of 4.25 square miles and at the last Census (2001) had a population of 1,385.
In 1935 it was amalgamated with the neigbouring parish of East Bilney.
The parish has a Village Hall and a Recreation Ground that includes a football and cricket pitch.
At Beetley River Meadows there is a play area situated near the White Water river.
The Parish Council is trustee or owner of land at Beetley Common and East Bilney which provide walks and areas for viewing wild life.
Welcome to East Bilney
The village gets its name from “bin” an abbreviation from the tribal name “Billinger” and “ey” meaning isle. The later refers to the fact that Bilney was once an island surounded by the river Nar.
The church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. During Kett’s Rebellion in 1594 the upper stage was ‘thrown down‘, it being finally repaired in 1906.
In 1838 an Almshouse for three aged couples from the Launditch Hundred was built by Rebecca Pearce.
A School Board was formed in 1874 for both Beetley and East Bilney erecting a school at Hungry Hill in 1875.
The villages of Beetley and East Bilney were amalgamated into a single parish in 1935.
The Parish Council
is an elected tier of local government. The council has been granted powers by Parliament to raise money through taxation.(the Precept) and has a range of powers to spend public money.
The Parish Council is concerned with planning, highways, litter and rights of way. However these concerns are the responsibility of principal authorities. The Parish Council is consulted on planning and reports problems on the highways and rights of way. Any parishioner can respond to planning applications and report highway and rights of way problems.
Beetley Parish Council is responsible for Beetley River Meadows (including the play area), maintenance of open spaces, eg. Beetley Common & East Bilney Townlands, the Community Car Scheme and bus shelters.